Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Dare To Dream

Two years ago, I stayed in Indonesia for Christmas and New Year's, unusual for me. I was invited to be with a church leader retreat in the mountains over New Year's eve, and the next evening with the extended family (some 60 souls) retreat. For these and other New Year's events, I prepared a 30 minute video on the life of Joseph, the one sold into slavery by his brothers. The point was that Joseph's great dream seemed impossible for most of his life, but at the end, he was indeed elevated to be ruler over his brothers, mother/father, and indeed the rest of the known world!

I encouraged each group, with different scriptures, stories, and examples appropriate to each group, all based upon the lessons to be learned in the story of Joseph. Of course, the day after Christmas just before was the great tsunami that changed thousands of lives forever, and Indonesia was perhaps the nation most affected, though not most reported due to difficulty in getting people and information in and out of the area.

This was one of the earlier times I was aware of my work as Dream Maker - one who plants dreams, encourages dreams, and enables people to realize their dreams!

Today, as you approach the New Year, I encourage you not to just make resolutions, but to dare to let God plant a dream into your life, and let that dream be a guide post to deciding for adventure into unknown and (for you) uncharted territory. For a truly worthwhile dream will take you into these things.

Write the dream down. Many of my dreams, conceived in the New Year, written in my journal, were forgotten until then end of year review came. I often read these forgotten dreams, and realize that they have become reality over the year, just because I had dreamed them. I would be unaware of the power of dreams if I had not written them, and I would not have realized that a dream came true. A significant part of Dream Making is consciousness of the dream, though we may drift in and out of that counsciousness. Writing the dream helps to plant it more firmly, and will often be a reminder later of how dreams do become reality!

No comments: